The Transition Guide is designed to give guidance in the area of transition for Deaf or Hard of Hearing students. We hope teachers will use it with their transition-aged students who are deaf, deafblind, or hard of hearing and transition-aged.
When working with a person who is deaf or hard of hearing, you may find that some students may require additional specialized services and resources. This guide is designed to be a resource for schools and other agencies involved in the lives of transition-aged students in Minnesota who are deaf or hard of hearing. It is intended to be utilized, at the latest, during grade 9 to assist parents and service providers in the early planning for transition from school programs to employment or postsecondary education.
The Transition Guide was developed by the 2014-2015 Secondary/Transition work group of the Collaborative Plan stakeholders. The stakeholders involved with this project are:
- Cynthia Carlson-Paetznick, Anoka-Hennepin ISD 11
- Mary Cashman-Bakken, Minnesota Department of Education
- Jay Fehrman, Northeast Metro 916
- Ann Hanson-Hobot, Anoka-Hennepin ISD 11
- Katie Huttemier, Saint Paul Public Schools
- Greta Palmberg, Intermediate District 287
- Dann Trainer, University of Minnesota, Minnesota Association of Deaf Citizens
- Jayne Spain, Minnesota Department of Education
- Chris McVey, MN Dept of Employment and Economic Development (VRS)
Various sections of the MN Transition Guide for Teachers of the Deaf/Hard of Hearing were informed or inspired by the sources listed below.
- Transition guide for students who are deaf-blind developed by Special Education Programs, South Dakota Department of Education and the Center for Disabilities at The University of South Dakota, Sanford School of Medicine.
- Policy brief on employment of Minnesotans who are deaf or hard of hearing, Minnesota Employment Policy Initiative, 2011.
- Minnesota compensatory skills checklist for students with hearing loss, Minnesota Department of Education, updated March 2010.