Upper elementary through high school
- Investigate age-appropriate social or global problems
- Determine/formulate appropriate and positive solutions to problem
- Practice in social communication, perspective-taking, negotiating, decision making skills
- Write a “What if…” question on a card stating an issue relevant to the students.
- For example, What if someone at school offered you pot?
- Later the students can write their own “What if…” questions about issues they want to discuss.
- Students write their responses anonymously on a card and put them in a box.
- Pull a response out of the box, read it, and have the students discuss their thoughts regarding the response.
- Continue in the same manner for all of the responses.
Variation: List all of the student responses on a paper and give to each student. Students select the responses that they think are the best and explain why.